Tuesday, February 11, 2014

A Little Background Information

I found out in January of 2010 that I had a hereditary blood disorder called Factor V Leiden.  Factor V Leiden is a mutation of one of the clotting factors in the blood called factor V. This mutation can increase your chance of developing abnormal blood clots (thrombophilia), usually in your veins.  Because of this disorder, I personally have a higher chance of developing blood clots, and then you throw in all of the hormones that are being pumped into me daily, and I have an extremely high chance.  The fear of developing a blood clot WHILE dealing with infertility drives me crazy.  It scares me more than I can say that dealing with this infertility could literally kill me.  If I develop a blood clot and I do not recognize the symptoms, things could get really ugly.  So, I have to be very aware of everything that is going on with my body.

Along with the fear of the blood clots while taking the infertility meds, I have to consider the risk of a blood clot while pregnant.  Pregnant women already have to be aware that they have a higher chance of developing a blood clot.  But with my disorder, I have an even higher chance.  Therefore, I have already been sent to talk to a High Risk OBGYN.  My OBGYN told me that when I do get pregnant, I will have to start on blood thinners right away.  I will have to give myself shots every single day throughout my pregnancy.  Until I am about 35 weeks pregnant.  I will then be switched to an oral blood thinner because the shots are irreversible whereas the pills will be able to be reversed for when I go into labor.  Obviously it would be quite dangerous to be on blood thinners while in labor. 

If I do not do blood thinners throughout my pregnancy, I have a high risk of developing a blood clot in the placenta and therefore losing the baby and possibly my own life.  This terrifies me.  Of course, I do not want to have to give myself shots for 8 months, but I also do not want anything to happen to my baby.  So I will do what I have to do.  The fact that I could lose my life trying to get pregnant, being pregnant, or having a baby is a very scary thing for me.  It has been a hard topic to discuss and therefore, not many people know that this is an issue that I have.  

My mother and grandmother both have this disorder and delivered healthy babies and had no issues.  There are miscarriages in my family which is a result of this blood disorder.  I hope and pray that when I do finally get pregnant, I will not lose my baby.  I will do everything in my power to make sure that that does not happen.  So for now, I make sure that I do whatever I can to ensure I am healthy and blood clot free.  And once I do get pregnant, I will be doing so much to make sure that there is no chance I will lose that baby that I worked so hard to conceive!

Please keep me and my husband in your thoughts and prayers!  We appreciate it more than words can say!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment